Top Echelon’s crazy recruiting stories are rolling on!
We’ve already compiled quite a collection of tales, including:
- A candidate taken hostage by Mexican drug cartel wannabes
- A candidate who brought a boa constrictor to their interview
- A candidate who got into a fistfight with the hiring manager during their interview (for a good reason)
- A candidate, who despite suffering from a gland problem that made proximity with him nearly impossible, was placed more than once by a recruiter.
How much more crazy can it get? Well, we’re going to find out. Once again, this story was submitted a few years ago by a Top Echelon Network recruiter. This time, though, the candidate involved was actually successfully placed . . . more than once!
— — —
I’m just finishing a search for a regular client adding a new COO position. At the beginning of the search, they provided me with 10 names of people they wanted me to check out that were names referred by some industry people they knew. I talked to one of the referral sources (a CEO at another company) and she said this one particular person used to work for her and was fantastic, but she hadn’t talked with her in a few years.
When I called that person’s company, I was screened much harder by the initial receptionist than I would expect. I was told I wouldn’t be able to contact her, which was strange because she wasn’t a high executive. After doing some more research, I found out why they wouldn’t let me through.
It turns out she was currently the girlfriend of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Upon telling the hiring CEO the news, he told me that should I get through to her, I had the authority to offer her the job on the spot.
— — —
Remember, there are two ways you can submit your craziest recruiting story:
- You can email your story to email@example.com.
- You can add the story in the comments section at the end of this blog post.
Keep in mind that you can remain anonymous if you would like, and by submitting your story, you give us permission to include the story in a future blog or social media post. And be sure to check back with the Top Echelon Blog.
Because more crazy recruiting stories are on the way!